If your organization has purchased concurrent licenses of InstallShield, InstallShield Collaboration, or the Standalone Build, a FlexNet Licensing Server that you set up in your environment manages how many instances of the product can be run simultaneously. Each user who wants to launch one of these products needs to establish a connection with the licensing server to check out and check in licenses when needed.
The version of the FlexNet Licensing Server that is available for InstallShield 2014 and later (and for InstallShield Collaboration or the Standalone Build versions that were released with those versions of InstallShield) requires you to activate the licenses on the licensing server using an activation code, which is available through the Flexera Product and License Center.
System Requirements for the FlexNet Licensing Server
When you are determining which machine to use as the FlexNet Licensing Server, note the following:
- Machine selection—The FlexNet Licensing Server machine can be any machine in your network. Typically, the licensing server system components reside on a central machine in the network.
- Supported operating systems—The FlexNet Licensing Server machine must be a Windows-based machine. The following versions of Windows are supported: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
- Networking—The FlexNet Licensing Server machine must be able to communicate with the Flexera product through a TCP/IP port. A valid number is any unused port number between 0 and 64000. The default port range is 27000 through 27009. You may need to adjust your firewall settings to allow this communication.
- Required software—The license server manager that is installed as part of the FlexNet Licensing Server installation is lmadmin, the Web-based application. lmgrd, the command-line tool, is not supported.
The FlexNet Licensing Server machine can have other applications running on it; it does not need to be dedicated to running only the FlexNet Licensing Server. However, for a high-traffic, high-license-count environment, and a more reliable system, it is better to have a dedicated machine.
The FlexNet Licensing Server machine should remain on at all times so that users can access it at all times.
Triad server clusters are not supported.
Note that although the FlexNet Licensing Server has support for other operating systems, concurrent licensing for InstallShield 2014 and later and its ad-ons requires one of the aforementioned specific versions of Windows.
Earlier versions of the FlexNet Licensing Server software must be uninstalled before the new version (the one that is available for InstallShield 2014 and later) can be installed.
lmadmin can be used in the following Web browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.
Setting Up the Concurrent License Server
The server installation for the FlexNet Licensing Server software is available for download from the Flexera Product and License Center.
To download the installation for the FlexNet Licensing Server software:
- Sign in to the Flexera Product and License Center.
- In the left navigation, under Entitlements, click Product List.
- If the Product List page shows multiple products, click the InstallShield link. The Product Information page opens.
- In the Product and File Downloads column, click the InstallShield link for the version that you want to download. The Product Download page opens.
- Click the appropriate download button.
The Product List page shows all of the product lines to which your account is entitled. If you do not have access to multiple products, clicking the Product List link opens the Product Information page directly.
To set up the FlexNet Licensing Server software on the licensing server:
Install and configure the FlexNet Licensing Server software on the licensing server, and obtain the activation code. For instructions, see "Setting Up the FlexNet Licensing Server Software on the Licensing Server, Obtaining an Activation Code, and Activating" on page 14 of the Flexera Product Download and License Guide for InstallShield 2016 and Later (PDF).